Did you know … there is a "repair fair" tomorrow?
What's a repair fair? An event where you can bring broken stuff, and talented fixers will try and fix it for you! The event will be held on Saturday, January 31, 12:00-4:00p.m. at Memphis Street Academy located at 2950 Memphis Street in Philadelphia. There is plenty of convenient parking and they'll have snacks for you to enjoy while your items are fixed.
The overarching purpose of the Repair Fairs is not to serve as a free repair shop. Instead, it is to encourage folks to participate in the troubleshooting and repair process themselves. The hope is that eventually, people will take home some of those diagnosis and repair skills and no longer need the Philly Fixers Guild!
The talented volunteer fixers love the challenge of repairing everyday things. Here are some examples of problems they can try to fix:
- ▪ Missing button on your coat
- ▪ Broken or tangled jewelry
- ▪ Vacuum cleaner that doesn’t turn on
- ▪ Toaster that won’t toast
- ▪ Broken handle on your favorite mug
- ▪ Laptop that won’t start up
- ▪ Dull kitchen knives
- ▪ DVD stuck in a broken player
- ▪ Stuffing coming out of a hole in your pillow
- ▪ One key on your computer keyboard doesn’t work
- ▪ Help needed to assemble your brand new Ikea chair
However, there are some limits and guidelines so things can run a bit more smoothly:
▪ Guests are generally expected to stay with their item; dropping an item off for us to work on defeats the purpose of the Repair Fair
▪ We cannot work on weapons, vehicles or items that contain Hazardous Materials
▪ If you already know your item needs a particular replacement part, order it early and bring it with you to the fair
▪ As long as you can carry the item in, we will do our best to get it repaired
There will, of course, be some things that cannot be reasonably fixed or might need a part that must be ordered. In these cases, a fixer will recommend the best course of action. Usually, he or she will be able to supply you with info on part numbers and repair steps so you can complete the repair at home on your own!
More details can be found at http://phillyfixersguild.org/event/repair-fair-3-philly-fixers-guild/
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and REPAIR!