By Carlye Nelson-Major, Associate Head of School (preschool-3rd grade)
Last night was Back-to-School Night for families with children in preschool through 3rd grade.
I ended my presentation to parents by expressing my hope that this year we will continue to work together to build a common appreciation for the complexity and collective power of our parent-school partnership. I also suggested to parents that when they ask their children “how was school today?” and they say “good,” or “what did you do?” and they answer “nothing,” they shouldn't believe these responses at face value!
There are many lists of questions that educators suggest parents ask their children to go deeper than“how was your day?" Here are some of my favorites, especially for our preschool through third grade learners, which will help you get at the richness of the school day. Pick a couple to ask your child each day.
- Tell me about what was the most fun you had today.
- Tell me about something nice that someone did for you today.
- What was the nicest thing you did for someone else?
- What is one thing you did today that was helpful?
- Tell me about a time when you were flexible today.
- Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
- Did anyone push your buttons today? Did you push anyone else’s buttons today?
- Who do you want to make friends with but haven’t yet? What could you do?
- Who do you like partnering with the best (in math, at circle, during activity time, etc.)? Why?
- Who made you laugh today? Why?
- Who made you mad today? Why?
- What was your favorite part of your lunch today? What didn’t you like?
- Who did you play with today? What did you play?
- What’s your favorite space in your classroom?
- What’s your favorite morning meeting greeting?
- What new idea did you enjoy learning about today?
- What new word did you learn to say in Spanish? What does it mean?
- What idea/question did you share today?
- What challenged you today?
- What did you work hardest on today?
- When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
- What new goal did you set for yourself today?
- What book did you read in class today?
- What character in a book seems most like you? Why?
- What book, that you’ve read, do you think I would like to read too? Why?
- If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day, who would you want it to be?Why?
- What’s your favorite part of the day? Least favorite? Why?
- What is your classroom’s most important rule?
- What rules are different at school than our rules at home? Are they fair?
- What rule was the hardest to follow today? The easiest?
- What's the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- What is one thing you hope to learn before the school year is over?