Did You Know?
- An idling vehicle gets 0 miles to the gallon.
- An idling car releases two times the amount of fumes that a car in motion does.
- Idling breaks the law - City of Philadelphia Air Management Regulation Ch. IX.
People occasionally wait in their car with it running. However, there are human health concerns, such as asthma and cancer, that are related to the exposure of exhaust and diesel fumes. Sometimes it is cold or hot outside, but it is rarely cold or hot enough to warrant risking other's health. So, next time you are parked and waiting in your car, please turn it off. You’ll save gas, help prevent air pollution, and most importantly, protect the health of our children!
Want to learn more? Check out these resources:
- Clean Air Council http://www.cleanair.org/program/transportation/anti_idling
- Idle-free Philly http://IdleFreePhilly.org/
- US EPA Idle-free Schools http://www2.epa.gov/region8/idle-free-schools
- US EPA Clean School Bus http://www2.epa.gov/cleandiesel/clean-school-bus