A list of compelling reasons to read prominently graces a wall in the seventh grade space. The source of the list is www.lifehack.org. As we celebrate reading this week – thanks to TPSA's Holiday Book Fair. the appearance of authors Jennifer Weiner and Nancy Viau in our classrooms, and this Saturday's upcoming Book Festival – it seems fitting to share the list with our community of avid readers!
- Mental Stimulation: Your brain is a muscle and needs to be exercised!
- Stress Reduction: Lose yourself in a great book.
- Knowledge: Accumulate new information to be better equipped for life.
- Vocabulary Expansion: Gain exposure to new words in context.
- Memory Improvement: Reading assists short-term memory and strengthens existing memories.
- Stronger Analytical Thinking Skills: Put your critical-thinking cap on and analyze a book, its characters, and other details.
- Improved Focus and Concentration: When you read, ALL of your attention is focused on the book. Concentrating like this is a skill that must be practiced.
- Better Writing Skills: Explore a range a genres, voices, and styles to expand your own writing.
- Tranquility: Reading can lower blood pressure and help relax you.
- Free Entertainment: Reading a book is low-budget entertainment!
We look forward to seeing everyone at Saturday's fair's culminating event. Join us in the Garage anytime between 11am and 2pm – for books, crafts activities, author readings, and refreshments.