Each year The Philadelphia School community participates in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. It includes three components:
Middle School families are asked to participate in the “500 Sandwiches” project, which will take place in the Garage on Monday, January 16, from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. We have made a commitment to make 500 hearty sandwiches for residents at several local shelters. We need at least 25 parents who will
- purchase and donate non-pork lunch meats/cheese and non-white bread (each family will be responsible for 15-20 sandwiches)
- bring mustard/mayonnaise (no greens, please -- the shelters say they make the sandwiches soggy)
- bring ziplock sandwich bags
- help supervise the students who make the sandwiches
- if needed, deliver the sandwiches to the shelters (all nearby)
We encourage Middle School students and parents to participate. (Parent volunteers, even though this is a Middle School event, you may bring younger children.) If you are unable to provide ingredients, please join us to help pack up sandwiches and prepare them for delivery.
GRADES 1 - 5
Families with children in grades 1-5 are asked to do some baking at home, making dessert (10-12 servings), which will be delivered along with the Middle School sandwiches.
This project entails
- baking and individually wrapping 10-12 brownies, cookies, Rice Krispie treats, muffins, etc. (Do not send full cakes or pies; do not use icing.)
- dropping off baked goods at the Garage between 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. on Monday, January 16.
PRESCHOOL & KINDERGARTEN
Preschool and kindergarten families are asked to participate in our “emergency breakfast” project, which provides nurses at several public elementary schools breakfast bars and juice/milk boxes to children who arrive to school hungry.
We ask families to
- please purchase 10-12 breakfast bars and beverages (non-refrigerated) and place one of each in a single ziplock bag.
- bring in your emergency breakfast packets to the office at the Schwartz Siegel building on Tuesday, January 17, the day after Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Click on the button below to rsvp by Wednesday, January 11. Your rsvp is important so we know we can meet demand. For more info, contact Lavonia Waddington.