It's almost time for the Class of 2017 to leave us! Here is a family guide to Graduation 2017.
~ Tuesday, April 18. Graduation prep began! Throughout the next several weeks, students will be drafting graduation speeches or choosing a song or instrumental piece to perform. Students may choose to speak or perform solo or in a group of two or three students.
~ May 1. Students were given invitations to take home next week. Each family receives six tickets. (Dual-household families receive seven.) If you need an additional ticket, please email Lois West; some families return some of their tickers, and we should be able to accommodate your needs.
~ Tuesday, May 23. 8th Grade Breakfast. Please rsvp.
~ Tuesday, May 30. Graduation Ceremony Rehearsals began. No absences please from this date on! Dress rehearsals are on June 6 and 7.
~ Thursday evening, June 8 (6:45 p.m.). The 8th graders are our honorees at a Presentation Ceremony in the Gym, where teachers make a short speech to each child and present a gift. Please note:
- There is no limit (within reason, of course) to the number of guests families can invite to this evening event. There are no printed invitations to this ceremony.
- Parking will be limited. Please plan to walk, carpool, or take public transportation. (There is a parking garage at Lombard and 21st Street.)
- 8th graders should arrive by 6:30 p.m. and take their seats on the platform.
- Dress for graduates: 8th graders are asked to dress nicely for this event -- no jeans, hats, hoods, t-shirts, or sneakers, please. There is no need for suits or fancy dresses.
- Videotaping is permitted but only with hand-held cameras at your seat.
- Light refreshments will be served.
- We expect the evening to end at 8:45 p.m.
~ Friday, June 9 (9:00-11:00 a.m.). Graduation Day
- Parking will be unavailable in the school’s lots. Please walk, carpool, or take public transportation. Please advise guests that on-the-street parking is limited to 2 hours; guests who do drive might want to park in a nearby garage (Lombard and 21st).
- Guests may enter the gymnasium after 8:30 a.m.
- Each graduate will give a speech or perform as an individual or in a small group. The ceremony takes place in the gymnasium of the Lombard building.
- Dress for graduates: no hats, shorts, jeans, sneakers, or t-shirts. In the past, most boys have worn a suit or a jacket and tie; girls usually wear dresses – we recommend that they have a sweater with them because it does get chilly.
- Graduating 8th graders should arrive at school no later than 8:30 a.m. and report to the Multipurpose Room.
- This morning ceremony is attended by students in grades 3-8. Kindergarten and Primary Unit students make "special appearances" to serenade the graduates. Younger siblings who are TPS students may sit with their classmates or with their family.
- The school will be videotaping the ceremony, and the video will be posted on the school website as soon as possible.
- After the ceremony, graduates and their guests are invited to gather in the Garage for a reception. (If you are planning to go out to lunch after graduation, you may want to consider a reservation no earlier than 12:30 or 1:00 p.m.)
- Bring lots of tissues!
Questions? Email Lois West at email@example.com.