It's almost time for the Class of 2018 to leave us! Here is a family guide to Graduation 2018.
~ April 9. Graduation prep began! Throughout the next several weeks, students will be drafting graduation speeches or choosing a song or instrumental piece to perform. Students may choose to speak or perform solo or in a group of two or three students.
~ April 23-24. Students selected four teachers or staff members as possible "presenters" who will speak on their behalf at the graduation-eve Presentation Ceremony honoring the graduates. (See below.) From this list of four, one will be the presenter.
~ Around May 1. Students will be given invitations to take home and give to you to distribute. Each family receives FIVE tickets. (Dual-household families receive six tickets.) If you need an additional ticket, please email Lois West; some families return some of their tickers, and we should be able to accommodate your needs. Siblings who attend TPS do not need a ticket.
~ Wednesday, May 16. All speeches are completed.
~ Tuesday, May 22: 8:20-9:15am 8th Grade Pancake Breakfast. Parents are invited to have breakfast in the Garage with their children and with the 8th grade teaching team. Parent Victoria Bastian is putting together a slide show for the event. RSVP here.
~ Tuesday, May 29. Graduation Ceremony Rehearsals began. No absences please from this date on! Dress rehearsals, attended by preschool-grade 3 are on June 6 or 7.
~ Thursday evening, June 7 (6:45 p.m.). The 8th graders are our honorees at a Presentation Ceremony in the Gym, where teachers make a short speech to each child and present a gift. Please note:
- There is no limit (within reason, of course) to the number of guests families can invite to this evening event. There are no printed invitations to this ceremony.
- Parking will be limited. Please plan to walk, carpool, or take public transportation. (There is a parking garage at Lombard and 21st Street.)
- 8th graders should arrive by 6:30 p.m. and take their seats on the platform.
- Dress for graduates: 8th graders are asked to dress nicely for this event -- no jeans, hats, hoods, or t-shirts. There is no need for suits or fancy dresses.
- Videotaping is permitted but only with hand-held cameras at your seat.
- Light refreshments will be served.
- We expect the evening to end at 9:30 p.m.
- Because of the length of the ceremony, we recommend that young children not attend.
~ Friday, June 8 (9:00-11:30 a.m.). Graduation Day - Gymnasium
- Each graduate will give a speech or perform as an individual or in a small group. The ceremony takes place in the gymnasium of the Lombard building.
- Dress for graduates: no hats, shorts, jeans, sneakers, or t-shirts. In the past, most boys have worn a suit or a jacket and tie; girls usually wear dresses or slacks – we recommend that they have a sweater with them because it can get chilly in the gym.
- Because of the size of this year's class, the ceremony will be longer than in the past. We hope to end by 11:30 a.m., but there is a chance we will go longer. Keep this in mind when considering bringing very young children.
- This morning ceremony is attended by students in grades 4-8. Preschool, kindergarten, Primary Unit, and 3rd grade students make short "special appearances." Younger siblings who are TPS students may sit with their classmates or with their family.
- Parking will NOT be available in the school’s lots. Please walk, carpool, or take public transportation. Please advise guests that on-the-street parking is limited to 2 hours.
- Guests may enter the gymnasium after 8:30 a.m.
- Graduating 8th graders should arrive at school no later than 8:30 a.m. and report to the Multipurpose Room. Anyone running late should call the school office.
- The school will be videotaping the ceremony, and the video will be posted on the school website as soon as possible.
- After the ceremony, graduates and their guests are invited to gather in the Garage for a reception. (If you are planning to go out to lunch after graduation, you may want to consider a reservation no earlier than 12:45 or 1:00 p.m.)
- Bring lots of tissues!
Questions? Email Lois West at email@example.com.