Dear Kindergarten Families,
It’s been a busy, busy week in Kindergarten! Our toy and gymnastics studies are culminating next week. Students are preparing to present what they’ve learned. Children spent time this week answering all of the questions they asked at the beginning of our study, and realized how much they now know thanks to our research. Students sketched, dictated, and wrote what they have learned about toys/gymnastics.
We discussed how one can represent what s/he has learned, like we did in the fall with our beaver/hedgehog studies. Students then chose how they wanted to present their newly acquired information. Children are currently working on plays, books, songs, models, videos, and dioramas. Some children are choosing to work alone, others with a partner, others in groups.
Next week the students will present what they’ve learned to the other kindergarten class, as well as with the preschoolers. We are looking forward to sharing your child’s project work with you at your parent/teacher conference next week.
We are looking forward to seeing you to discuss your child’s life in kindergarten during our conference. If you have any specific questions or topics you’d like to discuss, feel free to email your child’s teachers in advance of the conference. If you need child care (for a TPS-enrolled student) during your conference time on March 23 or 24, it will be available in the Lombard Street building from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. A receptionist will direct you to the room where supervision will be available. Children may not wait in the office. Thanks.
Along with the reading, writing, and science connected to our studies, we are continuing to focus on strategies to read and write. During one Writing Workshop, students chose a journal entry they feel proud of for us to share with you during conferences.
Some items for your calendar:
- We are still collecting gently used toys for Instant RePlay, and will be until Spring Break. Please bring them in and place them in the bin in our vestibule! Thanks!
- Friday, April 7, we either return to The Schuylkill Center! or visit the community garden we wrote about last week. (If we go to the garden, our first day back at The Schuylkill Center will be Friday, April 14, and we plan to go every Friday after that until the end of the school year.)
- Friday, April 21 -- No School: In-service for teachers, special ASEP program available
- Thursday, June 1, 9:00 a.m. will be our final Kindergarten Learning Celebration. Please plan to join us for our final project presentation.
Questions to ask your child this week:
- How are you representing what you’ve learned about toys/gymnastics? What information do you plan to share?
- How do you feel about presenting your research to preschoolers?
- What do you want me to ask your teachers about you during conferences?
- What do you feel most proud of this week?
- What do you wish was different this week?
Have a lovely weekend,
The Kindergarten Team