Dear Kindergarten Families:
The “research” phase of our “Putting on a Play” study began in earnest this week. We first wrote and illustrated what we think we know about plays, then asked questions we hope to answer as we begin our research. Thursday we visited Old Academy Theater in East Falls where Primary Unit Teacher Marisa Block has acted in a number of plays. It was a wonderful trip where we got to walk onto the stage, see sets and learn about how they are made, and go backstage and help work the light board. We saw props and costumes in the dressing room. Some children sketched the stage, the curtains, and the lights. We spoke with actors and directors and asked questions. It was a fabulous opportunity to reinforce what we have already learned, and also to introduce some new play-related concepts. Children in each kindergarten classroom were excited to share their ideas of changing our loft space in the classroom into a theater -- which we are eager to do!
While reading and writing are part of our “Putting on a Play” study, we are also continuing to write in our journals every week. This week we added the word “will” to our word wall and have been focusing on the short vowel sound /i/, as in “itch.” We talked about how every syllable in a word has at least one vowel and have been encouraging students to listen for and include vowels in their writing.
At The Schuylkill Center today we spent time at Weil House noting how different it felt from last week. We used our senses to notice differences from when we were there last week and in the fall.
In mathematics we are focusing on addition facts to ten, adding up more than two addends, and comparing quantities.
A few calendar notes:
We are looking for Spanish-speaking volunteers for our student-only Spanish learning celebration, our "Mercado," which will be held on Thursday, May 25, 12:30-3:00 p.m. If you are interested in helping or learning more, please email Brian ([email protected]) or Melissa ([email protected]). Thank you!
Friday, April 21 - No School - In-service for teachers; special ASEP program available
Thursday, April 27, 5:00-6:00 p.m. - Move-Up Night for Parents of Next Year’s First Graders (believe it or not, that’s you!). Come meet the Primary Unit (first and second-grade teachers) and learn about what to expect for your child next year.
Thursday, June 1, 9:00-10:30 a.m. - Kindergarten Plays and Learning Celebration
Questions to ask/Activities to do with you child this week:
- What did you learn at the Old Academy Players Theater?
- What questions are you hoping to research about putting on a play?
- What was fun about being at The Schuylkill Center today?
- What book did you read at “Read to Self” or “Quiet Reading"?
- What did you write about in your journal?
- Play a math game where you take two turns rolling a die. Each person writes down the numerals from his/her turns and then makes an addition equation with them, and solves the equation. Compare each person’s sum and decide which is greater, less than or if the sums are equal.
- Write down the names of people in your family. See if you can figure out how many vowels are in each name. Add the quantities.
Have a lovely weekend,
The Kindergarten Teachers