Dear Kindergarten Families:
It’s been a busy week! Grandparents and Grand Friends Day was lovely today. The children hosted their guests well as they proudly showed them our classrooms, and performed many of the songs they learned this year in Music.
The “research” phase of our “Putting on a Play” study began in earnest this week. We first wrote and illustrated what we think we know about plays, then asked questions we hope to answer as we begin our research. Thursday we visited Old Academy Theater in East Falls, where our own Marisa Block has acted in a number of plays. It was a wonderful trip where we saw banners to advertise plays and headshots of actors. We got to walk onto the stage, saw sets, and learned about how they are made. We also saw props and costumes. Each child sketched the stage, the curtains, and the lights. The children had the opportunity to work the light board. We spoke with actors and directors and asked questions. It was a fabulous trip to reinforce what we have already learned, and it also introduced us to some new play-related concepts.
It is with mixed feelings we say good-bye to Marisa. She is moving over to the “big building” on Lombard Street to cover a paternity leave in Primary D. We will miss her dearly, but we are excited for her new adventures with the first and second graders. We are also thrilled to welcome talented musician, gardener, and teacher Brian Jordan into Kindergarten A. Many of the students have worked with Brain in the garden earlier in the year and are familiar with his kind demeanor.
A few calendar notes:
- Friday, April 22 - No School - In-service for teachers, special ASEP program available
- Tuesday, April 26 - Kindergarten Trip to the Arden Theater to see The Stinky Cheese Man.
- Thursday, April 28 - 5-6pm - Move Up Night for Parents of Next Year’s First Graders (believe it or not, that’s you!) - come meet the Primary Unit (first and second grade teachers) and learn about what to expect for your child as he/she enters first grade.
- Friday, April 29 - Back to The Schuylkill Center
Questions to ask you child this week:
- What did you learn at the Old Academy Players Theater?
- What questions are you hoping to research about putting on a play?
- How was Grandparents & Grand Friends Day? What did you do?
Have a lovely weekend,
The Kindergarten Teachers