Dear 6th Grade Parents,
Throughout the year, the 6th grade studies Africa while turning a reflective lens on themselves. On Thursday, students read exotic customs that the Nacirema people perform. Students performed various strange behaviors and came to the conclusion that they Nacirema people we insane. After a discussion of the rituals, students discovered that they were the Nacirema people. Americans spelled backwards is Nacirema. The rituals that students read were regular every day activities, but were written in an exotic fashion.
In math, students have been working on word problems and becoming resilient problem solvers. The 6th graders have been writing their mathematical thinking process using specific details. We will continue to work on this skill throughout the year.
We are wrapping up our investigation of themes in The Giver. This week we discussed how rites of passages in the book are similar and different from such events our culture. In LA class, students have been working on character development. Students began to understand why the protagonist, Jonas, did some of his courages actions. Students are finishing the book for Monday.
We hope that all of you have received the letter that we sent home with your children on Tuesday. This letter outlines some of the important dates of the year, lists some of the challenges unique to 6th grade, and describes an assignment for YOU - to write a letter to us about your child. We'd like to hear from you about your hopes, fears, and questions about the year. If you did not receive this letter, ask your child for the copy. If you need still need a copy, please email Jess at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will email you a PDF version.
- Please remind your child that the Fall Community Service forms are due on Monday, September 19. See your Progressive Edge email or the blog post for more information.
- Back-to-School Night - Wednesday, October 28 from 6:30 to 8:30pm (reception in school yard from 5:30 to 6:30pm)
Questions to ask your 6th grade student:
- How does the pattern in the Stair Problem grow?
- Describe one exotic ritual that Nacirema perform.
- What was your creation for your representation of science?
- How would you describe Jonas?
The 6th Grade Team