Dear 6th Grade Parents,
Our spotlight for the week was all about culture. The students took a close look at the film industry in Nigeria, called Nollywood. Some of them were a part of a skit where they reenacted the Africa Magic People’s Choice Awards. This is a red carpet awards ceremony that celebrates African actors, directors, and films. The students also had to make a form of entertainment for their imaginary country.
In math, it was all about ratios. The students learned how to set up proportions to help them solve for a missing part of a larger ratio. In science, we continued to explore the nature of play by observing young TPS students play and by creating play experiments that will unearth principles of human behavior.
In language arts the students finished up the unit on Out of Bounds and then took a quiz. We also began looking at memoirs. The students will eventually write a memoir about something that is important to them.
- To attend the Middle School Spring Fling next Friday evening (6:30-8:30 p.m.), students must return a signed permission form by Monday 5/1.
- The Move-Up Meeting for rising seventh graders is Thursday 5/4, 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- The ERBs are soon approaching; they are the week of Monday, 5/8.
Question to ask your 6th Grader:
- What form of entertainment do the people in your CYOC participate in?
- What was your hypothesis for the play experiment with the preschoolers?
- What conclusion did you reach from the experiment?
- If 2 out of every 3 sixth graders are attending the Spring Fling, how many sixth graders would attend if there were 120 students?
The 6th Grade Team