Greetings, 6th Grade Parents!
Our thematic study of Africa in 6th grade has been closely tied to science. At the Schuylkill Center and in the classroom we have begun our investigation of drainage basins. Students observed how the shape of the land at the Schuylkill Center feeds into the Schuylkill drainage basin, which continues to grow into larger drainage basins until reaching the Atlantic Ocean. Students also studied drainage basins in Africa and anticipated how the topography of the land is formed around these basins.
This week in math, students used their quick facts of multiplication to find greatest common factors and least common multiples. As a class, we developed multiple strategies to find each of these concepts, and students chose which strategy that worked best for them. We also introduced IXL and throughout the year, students will use IXL to practice skills and concepts that are investigated in math class.
6th Grade Reminders:
- Next week marks the beginning of Fall Community Service jobs. (Students must perform community service at least two of the three trimesters.)
- Back-to-School Night is next week! On Tuesday, October 6, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm, you are invited to come and meet the 6th grade teachers and visit the space where your children spend their days. We look forward to meeting you!
- The 6th grade is going on an overnight camping trip. We will depart from TPS on Tuesday, October 13 and return by the end of the school day on Wednesday, October, 14. Keep an eye out for the permission slip and packing list of what students should bring with them on the trip. Your child will bring these home on Monday, Oct. 5). Complete and return the permission slip and review the items on the packing list. If you have any questions about the trip or what your child should pack, please email us. You do not need to buy anything for this trip. If there is anything that you do not have, just let us know and we will provide it for you.
- Please check in with your child to see what winter and/or spring sports he/she wants to play. We will ask you to fill out a form at Back to School Night. Winter sports are Girls Basketball and Boys Basketball. Spring sports are Track & Field and Tennis.
Questions to ask your 6th grade child:
- What biomes are you going to include in your imaginary country?
- What is one strategy you can use to find the Greatest Common Factor?
- Why do people annotate text?
- Do you have a community service job for the fall? Where and when is it?
Katrina, Terry, Mike & Jess