Hello, 6th Grade Parents,
Our work considering the impact of "the other" continues. While we have gone back all the way to the beginning of human migration in order to investigate the origins of "race" as a concept, your child has also looked at the modern influence of Western religions in Africa. In the coming weeks, 6th graders will be challenged to fill in the gaps connecting these seemingly disparate themes. Student work creating a timeline in the stairwell documenting their learning is supported by lessons on operations with positive and negative integers in math and paraphrasing LA.
Questions to ask your 6th grader:
- What is injera and how did you use it at Abyssinia?
- What poems did you read and write this week?
- How does the narrative form of A Long Walk to Water compare with the verse form of Home of the Brave?
- What are the similarities and differences between a timeline and a number line?
- What time period in the history of human migration do you want to investigate further?
- What has been the impact of Katrina's missionary work in the lives of Africans and in her life?
See you on Tuesday. Thank you to all the MS families who have volunteered for sandwich making in the Garage on Monday from 9:30 to 11:00am.
The 6th Grade Team