Note: All Primary classrooms and Primary students in ASEP are now toy/card free.
Dear Primary B Families,
We’ve had a busy, bountiful week in Primary B.
Wednesday was wonderful; our last visit to The Schuylkill Center was a success! We started out with a search for long, skinny sticks. Though no one had yet mentioned marshmallows outright, many suspected a sticky treat was coming their way. After some lunch and a quick round of kick the jug, a Primary B favorite, we got to enjoy roasting marshmallows over a small fire. Upon returning to school, we participated in an Hour of Code, an international movement to introduce students to coding. We used an app called LightBot and learned the basics of coding. Students and teachers alike were so entranced by the coding activity that nobody noticed we were ten minutes late for Activity Time!
In writing workshop we learned how to create a title for our personal narratives. Students quickly understood that titles should be interesting, not give away too much, and have to do with their stories. Upon completing the clean copy of their stories, students were tasked with creating the cover of their story, complete with title. This was generally done with great excitement and pride.
We have worked hard this week to ensure we are ready for our Learning Celebration on Tuesday, 12/13. Students were given a planning sheet and asked to thoroughly prepare for each activity in the Learning Celebration. Children picked a “good-fit book,” a math problem or game, and their small moment personal narrative in their plans so that they know exactly what to do on the day of the Learning Celebration.
This week, ask your child…
- What did you finish up during "Work in Progress" time?
- What was the highlight of our Schuylkill Center visit?
- What did you think of the coding activity? How far did you get in the activity?
- What is the title of your small moment story?
- What stories are you reading in Read Aloud and why?
A Look Ahead:
- Tuesday, 12/13: Winter Concert at 9:00 a.m. and Learning Celebration at 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, 12/14: Frog and Toad at the Arden at 10:00 a.m.
- Thursday, 12/15: The Weather Play performance at 2:30 p.m. (only for parents of students who are performing).
- Friday, 12/16: Last day before winter break and The Franklin Institute Traveling Show (this event will be held at TPS)
- Beginner Readers: "Step into Reading 2" books (Ex. Tiger is a Scaredy Cat by Joan Phillips)
- Middle Readers: Henry and Mudge series by Cynthia Rylant
- Good Chapter Books: Ivy and Bean series by Annie Barrows
We look forward to seeing you next week,
Marisa and Becca