Dear Primary C Families,
Happy New Year! We hope that your winter breaks were filled with rest, relaxation, and celebration, and that 2016 is off to a good start for you. As we transitioned back to our routines this week, we spent time each day reviewing the classroom promises that we developed as a class community at the beginning of the year: Take care of our places. Pay attention to help ourselves and each other learn. Be kind and treat people how they want to be treated. Be safe. We encourage you to discuss each of these promises with your child and ask him or her to share a goal for how he or she will live these promises in 2016.
Thanks to those of you who responded so quickly to the art department’s request for children to bring in photos of their homes. If you missed the email we sent earlier this week, here is a description of the project from the art teachers: In art classes, Primary students will be drawing the front facade of their houses, and then making a clay "portrait" of their house. This ties in with the classroom theme of neighborhoods. If you have not already done so, could you please take a photo of the front facade of your house or apartment building, and email it to your children's classroom teachers? Having reference photos will greatly assist the students with their drawings. Thank you in advance.
Please note that the Primary Unit Family Potluck will take place on Wednesday, January 20 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. in the garage. It should be a wonderful event!
Here are some questions to ask your child about the week:
- What was your favorite of the books by DyAnne DiSalvo-Ryan that we read aloud? What connections did you make while listening to these stories?
- What “seed” topic did you pick to write about this week? What steps did you follow to write your very best story?
- What new sounds or ideas did you learn about in your Fundations group this week? How did this help you grow in your reading or writing?
- What was your favorite math investigation or activity this week? Did anything challenge you or stretch your thinking?
- How did you feel about doing “MeMoves” this morning during Encuentro?
We are looking forward to many great days ahead together in 2016!
Jennifer and Kaitlin