Dear Primary C Families,
We are excited to announce that we have “elected” our Student Council representative for the year: Finn! He will share thoughts and ideas from our class with the other Student Council representatives, and he will report back on monthly meetings to fill us in on important decisions and other updates. Our alternate representatives will be Paloma, Pearl, Max, Maggie, Mikaela, and Avery. Each alternate will attend one meeting with Finn and assist him in representing Primary C. We are so proud of all of the candidates for their courage and poise in sharing their speeches with the class!
This afternoon, we announced our new specialist groupings to the class. As we wrote in our email to you last weekend, we typically form “permanent” groups a few weeks into the school year, once we have had time to get to know all of our students and conduct beginning-of-the-year assessments. Although we aim to keep these groups flexible as new needs arise, our goal is for children to have a predictable group and routine throughout the school year whenever possible. Please ask your child whether s/he is in the red group or the purple group. We will be working with the children to come up with creative group names related to our Rocks and Minerals study next week. Below is the schedule for each group:
- Monday/Thursday: PE with Mike and Akemi, Art with Rick
- Tuesday/Friday: Spanish with Cecilia (1st grade) and Tiziana (2nd grade), Music with Chris
- Monday/Thursday: Art with Neesa, Spanish with Cecilia (1st grade) and Tiziana (2nd grade)
- Tuesday/Friday: PE with Mike and Akemi, Music with Shannon and Donna
Here are some questions to ask your child about our week:
- What was your favorite part of Work on Words (Fundations)?
- Who were some of your partners for Read to Someone this week? What did you read together?
- How did it feel to break open a rock using a rock hammer at the Schuylkill Center on Wednesday? What did you notice about the rock when you did this?
- What did you share from your “schema” about rocks (what you already know)? What do you want to learn about rocks?
- What was your favorite part of Encuentro this morning?
- Who visited the class as a guest reader this week? What did they read?
Kaitlin and Jennifer