Dear Primary D Parents,
Our class agreed on class rules this week. We made a big list of ideas for how we should treat each other and learn together, and then we narrowed the list down to four “classroom agreements”:
- Be Kind
- Be Safe
- Try Your Best
- Take Care of the Environment
We will be discussing how we can work together to abide by these agreements, and please use them to help frame conversations at home with your child, too.
At The Schuylkill Center this week we continued our study of Air and Weather by studying parachutes and how they interact with air. Students built and launched parachutes, then made observations in their science notebooks.
In Writing Workshop this week students began writing stories from their lives. Our first Writing Unit this year will be “small moment” stories. We worked together on coming up with ideas. We shared with students that they can write about “what they do” or write about “something that happened to them.” Brainstorming small moment ideas at home may be helpful for your child. Here are a few samples from your children this week:
- “I went to the pool, and I passed the deep water test. You tread for a minute, swim to the wall and back to the lifeguard, and float on your back.”
- “I was playing Pokemon Go with my friend in Rittenhouse Square. There was a dragon in settings, then I heard a beep…”
- “Once at dinner my mom made me and my sister eat avocado. My sister ate it… she drank some water… water came out of her nose. The avocado came out of her mouth like crazy! Everybody laughed!”
In first-grade math this week, students practiced making up story problems with number racks. In second-grade math students are reviewing facts and getting reacquainted with the number rack. This coming week both 1st and 2nd graders will be introduced to workplaces where they will have the opportunity to practice skills in small groups and independently.
A few questions to ask your children.
- Who is your Family Group leader? How was the first Family Circle gathering this morning?
- What is your first small moment story about?
For your calendar: We’re looking forward to seeing many of you at Back-to-School Night next week on October 5.
Have a great weekend.
Ben and Niké