Dear Primary D Parents,
We spent much of this week in Primary D getting to know each other and getting to know our classroom materials. Our intention is to create a classroom climate that feels warm and safe for all the members of the group. We have been gradually introducing materials and routines and will continue the process of establishing rules and expectations over the next few weeks. Some of the highlights have been exploring drawing and writing supplies and experimenting with a variety of building materials.
We had our first math class this week, and we launched our Reading/Writing Workshop too. In Reading/Writing Workshop children have been practicing reading silently to themselves for short periods of time as they build stamina for sustaining concentration. We talked about 3 ways to read a book: 1. Look at the pictures and tell the story. 2. Retell a familiar story. 3. Read the words. This way every child can be successful no matter what their reading ability.
We had beautiful weather for our first experience at the Schuylkill Center. We spent much of our Wednesday learning about safety rules and the boundaries of our play areas. And then we played! Children were working together building forts out of sticks and rocks, and they discovered several toads too. (Where were those toads when we were studying them last spring!?!)
A couple of reminders.
- Preschool to 3rd Grade Back to School Night is on Wednesday, September 30; it begins with an informal Meet and Greet, sponsored by TPSA, at 5:30pm. We will look forward to seeing you that evening; our classroom presentation begins at 6:50pm.
- Since there is no access to running water at the Schuylkill Center, it would be helpful if you could pack some wipes or hand sanitizer in your child’s lunch so he or she can wash/sanitize their hands before and after lunch. Also, please be sure to pack a water bottle on Wednesdays.
- For those of you who have not yet sent in a change of clothes for your child to keep in their cubby, we encourage you to send those in next week for those occasional mishaps or a wet and muddy day at The Schuylkill Center.
- Please be sure to submit your child's dismissal plan to the Front Desk as soon as possible. This will ensure that your child is dismissed to the proper place and people at the close of the school day.
- We will not be sending a weekly classroom note next week as we are only in school for three days, but be on the lookout for the all-school "Progressive Edge" on Wednesday.
Have a great weekend.
Ben and Niké