At The Philadelphia School, Student Council plays a significant role in school life. Not only does it offer leadership opportunities to its members, it also sponsors activities that promote mixed-aged collaboration and friendship.
The executive committee, consisting of 7th and 8th graders who meet weekly, plans several school-wide activities, runs the school store, leads monthly full council meetings (representatives from grades 1 through 8), and addresses student concerns. Two faculty members serve as advisors to the council.
Recent activities have included
- Helping Hands – This year-long community service initiative includes food, book, and other drives for local social service organizations.
- Pumpkin Chunkin' – This pumpkin-smashing extravaganza raises funds for a local social service organization (this year's funds went to an agency aiding Syrian refugees in Philadelphia).
- Crazy Hat, Hair, and Pajama Day – Need we say more?!?
- Talent Show – This is an opportunity for 65+ acts to exuberantly show off their talents to the entire faculty and student body. Check out some photos from this year's show.
- Rainbow Day – This exciting morning is devoted to friendly mixed-age academic, engineering, and athletic competition.
- School Store Hot Chocolate Sales – Proceeds go to support fund-raising initiatives.
- Spring Fling – This evening of games, music, and refreshments is a fun event attended by our Middle School students.