Dear 3A Parents,
Happy 2016! We have been busy this week getting back into our routines after winter break. The children wrote new academic and community goals for themselves. They reviewed our classroom rules and in groups came up with examples of what students following these rules would look and sound like.
We have added a mindfulness component to our curriculum and this morning at Encuentro 3A students introduced and led a mindfulness activity called MeMoves.
The Immigrant Ancestor Project is due on Thursday, January 14. If your child hasn’t yet completed the project please help him or her find the time to do so by then.
This month, Student Council is working with a program called Instant RePlay to collect gently used toys. These donations will go to support families connected with the Nationalities Service Center and APM, both of which are Philadelphia organizations that work with kids and families in need. If you have any toys, puzzles, or books that you'd like to donate to the Instant RePlay collection, please put them in the bin in the front office. It would be especially nice for third grade students to participate in this effort since both these organizations serve immigrants in Philadelphia and NSC in particular is one we have supported in the past.
This weekend ask your child
- What new goals he or she chose and why
- What the difference is between a character’s feelings and a character trait
- What he or she thought of Fox, the book we read today
- What has been happening in our read-aloud chapter book The Birchbark House
- How the size of a water drop and the steepness of slope affect the speed of the drop as it goes down the slope -
- About his or her experiences with MeMoves
Enjoy the weekend!
Miriam and Josh