Dear 3A Parents,
Next Friday we will be visiting The Johnson House in Germantown. The Johnson House was the home of a Quaker family and was a stop on the Underground Railroad. We have been reading stories in theme about the Underground Railroad and it will be exciting to see a real station!
This week we began a new read aloud - Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate. It is a beautiful story, in verse, about Kek, a young Sudanese refugee who comes to live with relatives in Minnesota. Ask your child about some of the challenges Kek faces as he adjusts to his new life.
Also ask your child:
- how we are using “boxes and bullets” to identify the main ideas and supporting details in nonfiction texts
- how we are using “hamburgers” to help us write paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details
- who William Still was and about the work he did for the Underground Railroad
- what area and perimeter mean and how this month’s calendar is helping us learn about them
- about the results of our wet paper towel investigation in science
- what his or her favorite acts were at yesterday’s talent show
Congratulations to Aya, Siena, Alex, Anand, Sophia, Julián and Paige for performing their talents in front of the whole school! Enjoy the long weekend.
Miriam and Josh