Dear 3A Parents,
Today at Encuentro the winners of Student Council’s canned food drive were announced. 3A came in second! We are proud of our students’ diligence in bringing in food, and we are grateful to you for your generosity.
In theme this week we collected data from the immigrant ancestor projects into a retrieval chart. It was fun for the children to begin hearing about their classmates immigrant ancestors! We will be using the chart in the upcoming weeks to help us learn more about immigration.
In writing workshop we have begun writing nonfiction pieces and learning about ways they can be organized. Our nonfiction reading unit complements the writing unit. Our readers have been choosing nonfiction books and learning all sorts of new things from them. Today we introduced the class to RAZ kids, an online library of nonfiction and fiction books that they can read. RAZ kids has options to listen to a book while reading along, read a book, or record oral reading of a book. There is also a comprehension quiz option at the end of each book. Like IXL, RAZ kids can be accessed from the third grade page of the TPS website and the login information is the same. RAZ kids can be used as part of your child’s home reading.
This weekend ask your child about
- this morning’s music/Spanish Encuentro percussion program
- On the Way to School, a video we started watching
- how he or she did with typing practice today (Typing Pal is also on the third grade page of Student Central and uses same login info)
- Wednesday’s science investigation and what we saw when we put hot and then cold water into room temperature water
- Nettie’s Trip South, based on the true story of a girl who visits the south, witnesses slavery, and grows up to become an abolitionist
- the beginning of our work in math on multiplication
A reminder from TPSA: The 3rd grade and Junior Unit potluck is Wednesday, February 3, from 6:30-8:30 in the garage. All are invited to attend.
Enjoy the weekend - whether you’re outside playing in snow or inside staying cozy!
Miriam and Josh