Each morning, we choose a daily growth mindset focus to embrace. These mantras have been an important part of third grade which touch on both academic and social realms. Here are a few that are posted on our wall at this time:
“Every mistake you make is progress.”
“Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what could go RIGHT.”
“It’s okay to not know, but it’s not okay to not try.”
“Sometimes the struggle is what makes success even sweeter.”
One of our favorite parts of the day is when your children reflect at closing circle and share ways in which they’ve put a growth mindset into practice. Whether that’s mustering up the courage to eat lunch with a new group of friends, working hard for 15 minutes with a partner to solve a prime factorization problem, or putting a new writing strategy into practice, your children inspire us each and every day!
Please be on the lookout for a large envelope coming home. This is a collection of your child’s finished work. You can feel free to go through it together and keep pieces or toss them in the trash.
Thank you to those of you who have responded to our request to share your immigration story. We’d love to have more visitors share their journeys with us in third grade!
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHILD:
This week, ask me…
- if hot water is more dense than cold water
- to explain the water density science investigation to you
- about factors. And, what are two factors that, when multiplied, equal 24?
- about my multiplication quick facts, how am I doing, and if I need help learning them
- how the hamburger chart helped me to organize my nonfiction writing
- what are some ways I can figure out the meaning of a word in my reading that I am not familiar with
- what are some text features in nonfiction books that I find helpful to look at when I am reading
- how the basketball game went on Friday
- to tell you about contractions
- what is happening in our read aloud, Home of the Brave
- how my typing is going and if I should practice at home
- what I am learning about from my classmates’ ancestors, or friends, who immigrated to the United States
SAVE THE DATE:
The 3rd grade and Junior Unit potluck is Wednesday, February 3rd, from 6:30-8:30 in the garage. All are invited to attend.
The all-school talent show will be on February 11th. Those participating are asked to prepare a 1 minute well-rehearsed performance.
We hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend with the impending snowstorm!
Diane and Anna