We kicked off our writing unit on persuasive reviews with an ice cream taste tasting. (You probably heard that the Ben and Jerry’s vanilla ice cream was by far the favorite!) 3B writers have enthusiastically started reviewing restaurants, vacation destinations, movies, video games among many other things. Students are exploring questions such as: What does it mean to have an opinion about something? How can you form convincing arguments? What strategies do good persuasive writers use?
We hope to begin blogging these reviews next week on the third grade blog. We encourage parent participation in commenting on student reviews. We will send out login information soon!
An important note: Our trip to Baltimore is coming up soon! We wanted to give you a heads up that your child should bring his/her own lunch and plenty of snacks for the journey to Baltimore and back. We will provide water. Please remember to be punctual as we leave school at 8:15. Please complete the attached permission slip and send it in to school with your child ASAP.
Also, make sure to check out our auction item for EATS: Bubble tea and a manicure with Diane and Anna!
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHILD:
This week, ask me…
- Some new vocabulary about crayfish
- About Sloane’s mom’s visit and her story about great great aunt Molly
- The 3rd grade/Junior Unit recital
- What biographies I’m reading
- About the Ice Cream taste testing
- What quadrilaterals are
- About obtuse, acute, and right angles
- Our read-alouds about the experiences of refugees
- My opinion on whether ballet is a form of athletics or art or both?
- What a dichotomous key is and what it’s used for
- About Encuentro
- About our day at SCEE
SAVE THE DATES:
- Our field trip to the Museum of Industry in Baltimore, MD will be on 5/31 leaving school at 8:15am. Here is a copy of the permission slip.
- The afternoon of June 6 will be third grade’s annual pool party. More information to come.
Have a beautiful weekend!
Diane and Anna