Dear 3B Parents,
Our young anthropologists have been hard at work on their recreations of various elements of Lenape culture. Please join us for the presentation next Friday, December 11 from 10:00 to 11:00 am. If you can’t make that time we will be presenting again for other students at 2:00 pm, and you are welcome to join us then. The tentative plan is for an introduction, a brief song and dance performance, and then tours of the stations where the children will speak about their topics and present what they’ve created.
This morning we had a special guest! Cassandra Anlage, a TPS grandparent and descendent of the Nanticoke people, spoke to us about some of the history of her people and their current efforts to keep their culture alive. The class asked thoughtful questions and listened intently to her sharing - it was such a treat!
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHILD:
This week, ask me…
- to tell you about our new science unit of study, water
- what I learned during our ‘Water on Different Surfaces’ exploration
- how my Lenape station is coming along
- if it was challenging to put together my script for the Lenape celebration
- what is happening in our read aloud, The Birchbark House
- if my prediction about what would happen next in my book-club book was correct
- which books I enjoyed looking through at the Book Fair
- what I learned when author, Nancy Viau, came to talk with us about the writing process and publishing
- what I did during computer class today
- if I have written an ‘Appreciation Sentence’ to someone in my class or school community
SAVE THE DATES:
- Lenape Village : Friday, 12/11 at 10:00am or 2pm
- Winter Concert: Tuesday, December 15 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Students should come to school on the day of the concert (Tuesday, December 15) wearing red on top (ideally solid red or TPS t-shirt) and black on the bottom. If students do not have black pants, they should wear the darkest possible pants they have. Girls may wear a red dress, but not black. Shannon spoke about this with the students.
Have a lovely weekend!
Diane & Anna